Kathmandu (Agencies): Seven young men, who had been sacked from the Maoist party's guerrilla army after UN verification said their recruitment was unlawful, attacked an office of the world organisation in far western Nepal, injuring two guards, vandalising vehicles and smashing window panes, police said on Thursday.

The group, led by Chandra Singh Khanal, attacked the UN office in Hasanpur village in remote Dhangadi district on Wednesday, demanding food and shelter.

The UN, backed by European governments, has been imparting vocational training to former Maoists who were discharged from the People's Liberation Army last year after they were found to have been recruited in violation of international laws.

Of the over 4,000 discharged fighters, about 3,000 had been child fighters. The remainings were inducted after the Maoists signed a peace treaty in 2006, ending a decade of armed insurrection that had killed more than 16,000 people.

The discharge from the Party was a blow for the group who had been expecting that they too, like their nearly 20,000 fellow fighters who were certified bona fide recruits by the UN, would be inducted into the state security forces.

Police informed that all seven have been arrested.

This month, communist leader Jhala Nath Khanal became the new Prime Minister of Nepal after he promised the Maoists that a new security force would be set up to accommodate the 20,000 fighters.

While the agreement is being opposed by Khanal's own party as well as other major parties, the fate of the fighters became shrouded in further insecurity on Thursday after the Maoists decided not to join the new government due to a power-sharing row.