The witnesses were among the injured who were run over by the car when they were sleeping on a footpath near American Express Bakery on that day.

The court is conducting the re-trial of this case after the charges of culpable homicide were added recently.

While one witness said he saw the actor getting down from the front door on the right hand side, the other said he had seen Salman getting down from the driver's seat. Another witness said the actor had got down from the vehicle but did not remember from which side he got down.

One person was killed and four people were injured in the incident after which police booked Salman in this case on the charge of rash and negligent driving and other charges. Recently, he was charged with an additional charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder which attracts a ten-year sentence.

The three witnesses who deposed today were Manu Khan, Mohammed Kalim Iqbal Pathan and Muslim Shaikh.  All of them were workers of the Bakery which was hit by the car.
The prosecution has alleged the Toyota Land Cruiser involved in the incident was driven by Salman who was under the influence of liquor.
So far, four witnesses have deposed in the re-trial. One among them is a panch witness and the other three are eye witnesses. The prosecution led by Jagannath Kenjralkar would examine another three witnesses on May 19.

All the witnesses told Judge D W Deshpande that they saw the actor getting down from the car. He was held by the people who were shouting get down.

Salman was held by the people but another person, who also got down from the vehicle, said he was a policeman and hence they released the actor who ran away from the spot, they said.
Salman, sporting a French beard, dressed in blue jeans and a full-sleeve shirt, was sitting in the dock while his two sisters Alvira and Arpita sat on a bench in a jam-packed court room.

Lawyers, law students and members of general public had gathered in large numbers in the court to have a glimpse of the film star.

At one stage, the judge told the people to move away so that Salman was able to see and hear the witnesses tendering evidence in the court. This brought a smile to the actor's face.
According to the prosecution, the actor had run over his Toyota Land Cruiser on a group of persons sleeping on a footpath outside a bakery in suburban Bandra, killing one and injuring four others, on September 28, 2002.

On December 5 last year, the court had ordered a fresh trial on the ground that the witnesses had not been examined in the context of aggravated charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, which was invoked against the actor midway through the case.

The charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder attracts a 10-year sentence. The actor had earlier been tried by a magistrate for a lesser offence of causing death by negligence, which entailed an imprisonment of two years.

The case had taken a twist earlier this year when the magistrate, after examining 17 witnesses, held that the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder was made out against Salman and referred the matter to a sessions court, as cases under this offence are tried by a higher court.


Latest News from India News Desk