As many as 188 people were killed and many others injured when a series of powerful bombs went off in suburban trains in Mumbai on July 11, 2006. Twelve of the 13 arrested accused were pronounced guilty by a Special Court last week.
    
"There were mitigating circumstances to suggest they were reformed and hence leniency should be showed to them," said a written statement by all the 12 convicts found guilty of the crime on September 11 by a designated court under stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime (MCOCA).
    
Judge Yatin D Shinde called each convict before him and recorded their oral statements on the quantum of sentence to be given to them.
    
Today, the defence and prosecution lawyers would submit arguments on the quantum of sentence citing High Court and Supreme Court judgements.
    
"I have small kids to look after," said Kamal Ansari, the first convict to appear before the Judge for recording his statement on quantum of punishment. He pleaded for minimum sentence.
    
Another convict, Tanvir Ahmed, a doctor, said he had chosen the profession to help the poor and he wished to serve the needy. He said he had worked in a charitable hospital.
    
"I have no past criminal record and I have behaved well in the jail (as an undertrial). I did a post graduation in disaster management and have improved my academic records", Tanvir told the court. He also said that he did pose a danger to the society and prayed for minimum punishment.

Latest News from India News Desk