In her reply filed before Special CBI Judge OP Saini, who is exclusively holding trial in all 2G scam related matters, Kanimozhi said the agency has filed this application for summoning additional witnesses at a "highly belated stage" when the recording of evidence has already been closed.

"The present application (filed by CBI) has been filed at a highly belated stage," she said in her reply, adding that the "application is liable to be dismissed".

Kanimozhi and others, including former Telecom Minister A Raja and several top corporate executives, are facing trial in the 2G case for their alleged involvement.

During the day's proceedings, Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, a co-accused in the case, also filed his reply on the CBI's plea and sought dismissal of the application on the same ground that it has been filed at a belated stage.

Some of the other co-accused in the case told the judge that they would not file written reply on CBI's plea but will advance their arguments orally.

The court asked the defence advocates to file their replies, if any, by October 14 and fixed the matter for arguments on October 27.

The court had earlier issued notices to all the accused seeking their replies on CBI's application after the agency had placed some new facts before the court.

The court had said it would hear the submissions of the accused before deciding on CBI's plea.

CBI had moved the application seeking court's permission to summon some prosecution witnesses and to place additional documents on record saying they were necessary to arrive at the truth.

Besides Rajeshwar Singh, CBI has sought permission to call ED's Assistant Director Satyendra Singh, Under Secretary of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Navil Kapur and bank official D Mani.

Latest News from India News Desk