New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday reserved its order till May 15 on the bail plea of former jailed telecom minister A Raja in the 2G spectrum scam case.

Raja sought bail for the very first time on May 4 since he was jailed 15 months ago.
Raja, in his bail plea, contended that he is "innocent" and the case against him is "false and fabricated".

"The case against the petitioner (Raja) is false and fabricated and is not sustainable on law or on facts.

The petitioner is innocent and is likely to get acquitted.

"All the individual accused persons in this case, except the petitioner, have been released on bail .... The petitioner is entitled to bail on the grounds of parity," Raja had said.

The CBI in its reply has opposed Raja’s bail plea and said that he might influence the witnesses in the crucial case.  Meanwhile, A Raja's counsel, Ramesh Gupta, said that they sought relief on the grounds that all the other co-accused in the case had been granted bail. So there is no point in keeping his client in judicial custody.

Raja had filed the application soon after former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, who was arrested along with him on February 2 last year, was granted bail by the Supreme Court.

Special CBI Judge O P Saini had on Friday directed the CBI to file its response, if any, on Raja's bail plea on May 11.

The DMK MP had filed the bail plea on the ground of parity with other 13 accused who all have been granted the relief by the Supreme Court, the Delhi High Court and the special court trying the case.

Raja had filed the application soon after former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, who was arrested along with him on February 2 last year, was granted bail by the Supreme Court.

Raja, in his bail plea, contended that he is "innocent" and the case against him is "false and fabricated".

"The case against the petitioner (Raja) is false and fabricated and is not sustainable on law or on facts. The petitioner is innocent and is likely to get acquitted.

"All the individual accused persons in this case, except the petitioner, have been released on bail .... The petitioner is entitled to bail on the grounds of parity," Raja had said. Raja is the only accused yet to secure bail in the case.

Besides him, DMK MP Kanimozhi, Behura, Raja's former private secretary R K Chandolia and corporate executives Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, Unitech Limited MD Sanjay Chandra and Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani group executives Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair are facing trial in the case.

Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, filmmaker Karim Morani and Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd directors Rajiv Aggarwal and Asif Balwa are also facing trial along with three telecom firms Swan Telecom Pvt Ltd, Reliance Telecom Ltd and Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd under various penal provisions of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act.

JPN/Agencies

Latest News from India News Desk