New Delhi: Attorney General G E Vahanvati on Wednesday denied that the CBI has questioned him regarding alterations in the press note cleared by him for inviting applications for spectrum allocation in 2008. He said that former Telecom Minister A Raja's was responsible for the alterations.

The AG said he had told the CBI that two paragraphs of the press release had been deleted. The final draft of the release had Raja's noting approving it with the amendments, CBI sources said.

Thereafter, "the CBI had a forensic expert look into the notings and the alternations and they independently confirmed, through the latest forensic technology, that these were subsequently put," the AG said.

He said that DoT had earlier sent him a press release and had sought his opinion on it. He had sent back the release to the DoT after making some notings on it, the AG said.

Vahanvati's statement to CBI was taken on the legal opinion relating to a press release issued by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) on the allocation of 2G spectrum on a first come-first-serve basis.

The statement of the Attorney General is seen as crucial by the agency as it would help it in strengthening the case against Raja who was mainly relying on the fact that he had taken a policy decision and that it could not help in establishing alleged forgery and malafide intentions of former Telecom Minister and others involved in the case.

(Agencies)