New Delhi, Jan 10 (Agencies): Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal and the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) appeared to be on a war path on Monday as the latter issued a statement in which it declared that it stood by its report into the 2G spectrum allocation scam.

"CAG stands by its report on 2G spectrum hundred per cent", CAG spokesperson PS Chauhan told reporters.

The spokesperson, though, refused to answer more questions on the issue, saying that since the issue was under consideration of the Parliamentary Accounts Committee, he could not comment on it.

Telecom minister Kapil Sibal last week had questioned the findings of the report saying that CAG's estimate of Rs 1.76 lakh crore loss to the exchequer on account of allocation
of the spectrum was "utterly erroneous".

The minister had gone to the extent of saying that government did not suffer any loss.

2G spectrum allocation lacked transparency: Sibal

Asserting that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had not given any direction on the pricing of spectrum in 2007, Sibal today said prima facie it was evident that procedure to allocate spectrum lacked transparency.

"Yes, I believe so. We believe that the allocation of spectrum was wrongly made in terms of implementation of the policy. Otherwise, I would not have a one-man committee of the retired Supreme Court judge to look into the matter," he said in a TV interview.

On the issue of CAG's interpretation that former Telecom Minister A Raja disregarded Prime Minister's direction to auction 2G spectrum, Sibal said there was no such direction. "CAG has interpreted something which the government does not agree," he added.