Herat: In twin Taliban attacks in the Afghan city of Herat and at an Italian-led NATO reconstruction team, four people were killed and 24 others injured including children on Monday, officials said.

The blasts came just weeks before the usually peaceful historic city is to become one of the first places in the war-torn country to transition from NATO to Afghan security control nearly 10 years after the 2001 US-led invasion.

“Four are martyred and 24 are injured,” said Ghulam Sayed Rashid, Herat provincial health director.

“Among the wounded we have four children and a woman. The rest are men. There are two among them (the injured) who are in military uniform; they are guards of the PRT. Three of the injured are in critical condition,” he added.

Farooq Kohistani, Heart’s criminal investigation chief, had earlier put the death toll at two with 26 wounded.

“There was a suicide attack at the gate of Herat PRT and a second in the city centre,” he said. Kohistani did not have details on whether the dead were foreign or Afghan, or what the target of the second blast was.

The attack was claimed by the Taliban. Its spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi told reporters “Our mujahedeen are working on the operation in Herat.”

(Agencies)