Mumbai: Seven years after the serial bomb blasts on the suburban local trains rocked the metropolis, Allwyn D'cunha, a victim of the attack, is still waiting for the compensation promised by the government.

"Nobody has been able to change our lives. Once every year we remember this day and soon forget. The government has still not reimbursed our medical treatment expenses," Allwyn, who survived the attack, said.

"We are not demanding extra money from the government but only what we spent from our own pocket. We are not seeking special help. We had produced all the medical bills, but then too the government has not reimbursed the money," he said.

D'cunha, who was severely injured in a bomb blast in a local train at Borivali station on July 11, 2006, said he had moved the Human Rights Commission and had won the case there.

"The commission directed the government to compensate me immediately. But nothing has happened," the 46-year-old said.

"Once every year they (media) remember us, but after that they forget," he lamented.

BJP leader Kirit Somaiya expressed disappointment over the delay in the blasts case trial. "After seven years, the trial in this case has commenced in lower court. Thirteen terrorists are still absconding. The victims are awaiting justice and rehabilitation," he said.

On July 11, 2006, seven blasts went off in as many local trains during a span of 11 minutes, killing over 200 people and injuring about 700.

Trial still on

Seven years after the tragic attack, the trial in the case is still going on with the special MCOCA court recording statements of the accused.

"The court is now recording the statement of the accused who wanted to depose as defence witness in the case," said advocate Sherif Sheikh, appearing for some of the accused in the case.

Sheikh said they propose to examine some more defence witnesses in the case. Special MCOCA judge YD Shinde has till now recorded the statement of about 180 prosecution witnesses. The statements of witnesses have been recorded in over 2,400 pages.

The prosecution and defence have also submitted over 700 exhibits to the court to substantiate their claim. While about 40 defence witnesses have deposed in the court including four accused, the court is now recording the statement of fifth accused.

During the trial, the court also recorded the statements of three accused - alleged co-founder of terror group Indian Mujahideen Sadiq Sheikh, Arif Badruddin and Ansar Ahmed - arrested in 2008 for their alleged role in various blasts across the country during that year.

The defence lawyers had called as witnesses as they had in their confession statement stated that it was IM which was responsible for carrying out blasts since 2005. Seven RDX bombs kept in the first class coaches of Mumbai's suburban trains had exploded on July 11, 2006, killing about 188 people and injuring 817 others.

Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh Alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Abdul Wahid Shaikh (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30), Asif Khan (38) had been arrested by the Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS).

Key accused Azam Chima along with 14 others are absconding in the case. The examination of witnesses resumed after a span of two years as the Supreme Court had stayed the trial in 2008.

Before the stay, the prosecution had already examined a police officer. The Apex Court vacated the stay on April 23, 2010.

JPN/Agencies

Latest News from India News Desk