The shocking revelations came when police arrested the man, identified as Bunty Gupta, 35, around 12.30 pm on Saturday from Samaypur Badli area in west Delhi.

Investigators in Delhi Police were on the lookout for Gupta since August 19 when they rescued his daughters Himanshi, 8, and Deepali, 3, from a rented house - No 304 - in Nepali Colony, in Samaypur Badli area after being alerted by the neighbours.  The siblings, who are being treated in the city's Bhim Rao Ambedkar Hospital, were locked in the house since August 15.

Himanshi had deep maggot-infected wounds on her head while the house was stinking and was full of flies and mosquitoes when police rescued them.

Gupta informed police that he locked his two daughters in the house and fled with his son Laksh, who also had maggot-infected wounds on his head. Failing to provide proper care to his son Laksh, Gupta threw him alive in Munak canal - on the Delhi-Haryana border -- on August 18, Deputy Commissioner of Police Vikramjit Singh said.

The officer said the body of the boy has been recovered and Gupta has been taken into custody. Police produced Gupta in a city court on Saturday and managed to get his three-day custody for further inquiry.

The officer said that Gupta abandoned his two daughters and killed his son because he could not bear the expense of rearing them as he was jobless. The officer said the house from which the girls were recovered had no ventilation.

"The children could barely survive." During investigation police found that Gupta's wife Rajni alias Rosy had abandoned the family two-three months ago. Neighbours alleged that the couple used to have frequent and violent quarrels as Gupta suspected his wife's fidelity.

Till August 15, Gupta used to visit his house everyday but did not provide them food or any care. However after August 15, his visits stopped.Lack of food and sanitation resulted in the girls contracting skin diseases, including maggot infestation.  Neighbours, who had initially ignored the victims, called the police after the stench from the room became unbearable.

Neighbours informed police that Gupta didn't work, and instead cursed the girls for having been born to him. The parents have been charged with abandoning their children and under the Juvenile Justice Act.

The abandoned sisters did not receive any love and care from their parents, but their suffering has brought out the humane side of many people, including police and hospital staff, associated with them over the past few days.

Latest News from State News Desk