Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Under Fire:
Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak resigned in the wake of death of 25 people in a hospital fire tragedy, while opposition parties asked Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to follow suit on moral grounds.

"Mr Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak has sent me his letter of resignation. He has resigned on moral grounds. I have accepted it and sent it to the Governor," Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters.

The minister, who was also holding Information and Public Relations portfolio, put in his papers as police began interrogation of the arrested SUM Hospital owner Manoj Ranjan Nayak.

Manoj Nayak was arrested and sent to jail yesterday. He was taken by police on a two-day remand today. Sources said the minister's resignation came barely a few hours after police began grilling Manoj Ranjan Nayak. The opposition had accused the health minister of shielding the owner of the fire-ravaged hospital.

Opposition Alleges Government Of Defending SUM Hospital Management
Opposition parties, which had been demanding the Minister's head to roll since the fire tragedy took place on Monday evening, also alleged that Atanu's wife was an employee of Sikshya O Anusandhan University, headed by Manoj Nayak. This apart, it was alleged that both Khurda District Collector Niranjan Sahoo and Director, Department of Medical Education and Training P C Mohapatra failed to take action against SUM Hospital because of the minister's close proximity with Manoj Nayak, who also hailed from Kendrapara district as the minister.

Odisha Government Admits Of Lapses Of Security Measures
However, the minister had for the first time yesterday admitted that there were lapses in fire safety measures in SUM Hospital where the blaze killed 25 people. The hospital had violated fire safety norms and other guidelines. The hospital was also accused of overlooking a 2013 advisory of the government to improve firefighting apparatus.

Death Numbers Rises To 25
The numbers in Odisha's SUM Hospitals fire mishap rose to 25 on Friday, said a health official. While two persons died from their injuries on Thursday night, two others died on Friday.

Annapurna Samantaroy of Bhandarikuda village of Puri district died at AMRI hospital and Sheikh Qurban of Khurda undergoing treatment at SCB Medical College and Hospital died on Friday, said the official.

On Thursday night, Biswanath Behera of Dumduma area in Bhubaneswar and Rashmita Swain of Balipada area in Puri also died. Two more injured persons succumbed to their injuries earlier in the week.

Nineteen patients died on Monday when the fire broke out in the hospital. As many as 106 patients were shifted to different hospitals following the major fire that started in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the dialysis ward at SUM Hospitals on Monday evening.

Police Action:
The Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Commissionerate Police arrested four hospital officials on Tuesday, and the owner, Manoj Nayak, on Thursday and secured his two-day remand.