New Delhi: It was the same day last year when the whole nation drowned into a sea of deep sorrow as it lost its highly appreciated and exceptionally efficient scientist, the ‘Missile Man of India’, the ‘People’s President’, and much loved individual APJ Abdul Kalam at Indian Institute of Management, Shillong, on July 27, 2015.
He, 83, was delivering a lecture which he could not finish as he collapsed right there at the podium. The first death anniversary of the multifaceted Dr Kalam is being observed throughout the nation. Here, we bring some interesting facts from his life
- Avul Pakil Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam was born on October 15, 1931 in a Tamil Muslim family of Pilgrimage centre of Tamil Nadu’s Rameswaram.
- Though, the ancestors of Kalam were wealthy traders with numerous properties and tracts of the land but Kalam had to go through the hardships as his ancestors business failed, which columinated into loss of properties, apart from ancestor's home.
- He was youngest of four brothers and one sister in the family of Jainulabdeen and Ashiamma. He was 6-year-old when his father built a boat to ferry pilgrims from Rameswaram to Dhanushkodi.
- ‘During the time of adversity, one must stay calm while thinking about the cause’ was the most inspirational quote which child Kalam inherited from his father.
- Abdul Kalam along-with Mohammad Jalaluddin, who married his elder sister, used to walk with him from Masjid Gali to Shiv Mandir where they would revolve around Lord Shiva and talk about science and literature.
- He was involved in space programms and military missiles development of India and played crucial role in Pokhran-2 nuclear test in 1998. He wanted to have action plan to develop ‘Knowledge Superpower’ for the elevation of India as superpower.
- He wanted to establish unity among the different opinions of philosophies in India. He would believe in Syncretism. He served as 11th President of India who encouraged the science and technology to strengthen the country during his tenure.
- Apart from Science and technology, APJ Abdul Kalam would love music, poetry and literature. He wrote scores of books including Wings of Fire, Ignited Minds, The Luminous Sparks, Mission India, Inspiring Thoughts, Indomitable Spirit, Envision An Empowered Nation , You Are Born To Blossom: Take My Journey Beyond etc.
- Apart from Von Braun Award from National Space Society, APJ Abdul Kalam was felicitated with 7 honorary doctorate, Padma Bhusan , Padma Vibhusan and Bharat Ratna for his contributions.
Latest News from India News Desk