Elite commandos of the Army went a few kilometers inside the Myanmar territory to destroy two camps of insurgents hiding there after their attacks in Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh last week by NSCN(K) and KYKL outfits. The strike was carried out inside Myanmar with the coordination of local authorities.

About 15 to 20 insurgents were killed in the assault, the sources said, adding there were no casualties among the Indian soldiers. The operation was guided by 'specific and precise' intelligence input, highly placed sources said.
Commenting on the operation, MoS Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, a former colonel, said, "We crossed over to the Myanmar territory. We have good relations with them and we carried out the strike."

Rathore said while the Army carried out the strike, helicopters were on standby. He described the strike as 'unprecedented and extremely bold' by the government as Prime Minister Narendra Modi had ordered hot pursuit in two camps were completely annihilated.

Disclosing the operation, Major General Ranbir Singh, Additional Director General Military Operations, said Army had been on 'high alert' after Manipur attack on June 4.
In the course of last few days, 'credible and specific intelligence' was received about further attacks that were being planned within Indian territory.

"These attacks were to be carried out by some of the groups involved in earlier attacks on our security personnel and their allies," he told reporters here while briefing on the operation without taking any questions yesterday.

Latest News from India News Desk