Jagran Post

Search
SC notice to Centre on Kazmi’s bail plea

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued notice to the Delhi and Union Government on the bail plea of arrested Journalist Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, an accused allegedly involved in the Israeli Emabssy car blast case.

After going through the bail plea of Kazmi, the SC has asked the Attorney General (AG) Goolam E Vahanvati to assist the court in the matter.

Kazmi, booked by the Special Cell wing of the Delhi police, has moved the Supreme Court for bail.

Kazmi in his bail plea said that there is a lot of confusion as to who will hear and decide his matter as so far his case is neither presented before a Sessions court nor the High Court.

The police claimed that Kazmi had provided logistic support to the other accused in the case. Kazmi's counsel, however, said that he has never been involved in any act detrimental to national interests. He had also denied the allegation of having made financial gains out of the offence and said "transfers of illegal money, as shown in media, are baseless." He also said since he has a family in Delhi, he would not "pack his bags and flee."

Public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan argued "there is a bar on bail being given to a person accused under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act." Probe is still going on and the telephonic conversations between Kazmi and other accused are with police, prosecution said.

Delhi police has arrested Kazmi from his south Delhi residence, for allegedly helping others to plant a magnetic bomb on the vehicle on February 13 this year. The wife of an Israeli diplomat and two others were injured in the incident.

Mala Dixit/ JPN

Latest News from India News Desk

 

 

Did you like this story? 0 0