Karachi: Banned by ICC for seven years, Pakistani fast bowler Muhammad Asif on Wednesday said that he is determined to clear his name from the spot-fixing scandal.

Asif said that he was desperate to prove his innocence and get his cricketing career back on the track.

"I'm bitterly disappointed with the verdict that was announced in Doha. I am determined to clear my name and to get back to what I love doing and that is playing cricket for my country," said Asif.

Asif along with former Test captain Salman Butt and pacer Muhammad Aamer was banned  by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for their involvement in a spot-fixing scandal during the Lord's Test in August last year.

The three cricketers have also been charged by the UK Crown Prosecution Service with conspiracy to obtain and accept corrupt payments, and conspiracy to cheat, and have been summoned to appear in City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on March 17.

"It's every cricketer's dream to take part in tournaments such as the World Cup and I am no different. It would have been an absolute honour to wear the green of Pakistan and help the boys bring the trophy home," Asif told a website.

Asif is presently in England consulting with his lawyer to not only preparing for the appeal against the ban but also to challenge the criminal charges slapped against him by the Scotland Yard.

(Agencies)