Modi said he had a telephonic conversation with Karzai and the Afghanistan President assured him that he will do everything to safeguard India’s mission in his nation.

Modi also saluted the Consulate staff for their indomitable spirit and high morale throughout the period of hardship.

“President Karzai & I talked about Consulate attack in Herat. He assured me he will do everything to protect India's Missions in Afghanistan,” Modi tweeted on Friday.

“India salutes the efforts of India's security personnel & Afghan security forces for their valiant efforts to fight the terrorists in Heart,” he added.

“I salute the Consulate staff for their indomitable spirit & high morale throughout the difficult circumstances,” he further said.

Modi earlier in the day said that he was closely monitoring the situation in Herat where four gunmen armed with heavy weapons including rocket propelled grenades attacked the Indian Consulate.

Modi revealed that he had also spoken to the Ambassador over this matter.

“I condemn the attack on our consulate in Herat, Afghanistan. Closely monitoring the situation. I have spoken to the Ambassador as well,” Modi earlier said.

President, Vice President condemn attack on Indian Consulate in Afghanistan

President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari have condemned the attack on the Indian Consulate.

Commending the bravery shown by all Indian and Afghan staff members at the Consulate, President Mukherjee expressed gratitude to the Afghan security forces for quickly responding to the situation and coming to the assistance of the Consulate and ensuring the safety of staff and officers.

He asked the Ministry of External Affairs to remain in close touch with Afghan authorities to ensure the continued safety of Indian diplomatic personnel in the country.

"India will stand united and strong in defending its security and interests wherever they may be threatened," President Mukherjee said and called upon Indian security forces to remain alert and give a fitting response to any attempt to harm the country and people.

“Such terror attacks will not deter India's efforts to assist the friendly people of Afghanistan in their efforts to reconstruct and develop their nation,” he added.

Vice President Ansari said the terrorist attack on the Consulate General of India in Herat is to be condemned in strongest possible terms.

“I am relieved to learn that all our citizens are safe. Such acts of violence aimed at undermining the friendship between India and Afghanistan will not weaken our resolve to assist the friendly people and Government of Afghanistan in building a strong, stable and democratic Afghanistan,” he said in a statement.

All four involved in attack on Indian Consulate killed

All the four gunmen, who had stormed the Indian consulate in Afghanistan's Herat province early on Friday, have been gunned down.

"One terrorist was killed by ITBP personnel while three have been killed by Afghan forces. The attack has been successfully repulsed," Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) chief Subhas Goswami said.

The Director General also said that security at the Indian Embassy in Kabul and consulates in Jalalabad, Mazar-e-Sharif and Khandhar besides Herat has been beefed up and a high alert sounded to all Indian assets based across Afghanistan.

"We have been on alert. Our sister agencies have been providing intelligence inputs regularly about sabotage activities against us in Afghanistan. We have asked all our units to be on alert and vigilant," said Goswami.

Four gunmen armed with heavy weapons including rocket propelled grenades attacked the Indian Consulate in Afghanistan's Herat province at 3:45 am on Friday.

(JPN)

Latest News from India News Desk