The under-19 World Cup is scheduled to start from January 27 and Australia's withdrawal takes away quite a bit of sheen from the tournament given that the team from Down Under has won the trophy thrice in the past.
     
Australia's senior men's side had postponed their tour of Bangladesh in October due to security concerns and Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland said it has been monitoring the situation in the country ever since.
     
He said that CA Head of Security Sean Carroll traveled to Dhaka last week with ICC security advisors to meet with relevant officials, consider the detailed event security plan
and seek further travel advice from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade representatives based in Bangladesh.
     
"We have always maintained that the safety and security of Australian teams and officials is our number-one priority," Sutherland said.
     
"Regrettably, the advice from our Government suggests that the security threat to Australians traveling to Bangladesh remains as high now as it was when we postponed the Test team's tour of that country late last year,” he added.
     
Sutherland said it was a difficult decision to make and apologized to fans and organizers for the inconvenience caused due to their withdrawal from the event.

Latest News from Sports News Desk