Over 200 Australian police officials carried out anti- terror raids across Melbourne and arrested five teenagers.
    
An 18-year-old man from Hallam suburb was charged with conspiring to commit a terror act and was to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court while another 18-year-old was arrested from Hampton Park for terrorism-related offences.

A third man was arrested for weapons offences and two other men were in custody assisting the police with their enquiries, after seven search warrants were executed.
    
Three of the five men arrested were reportedly injured in the operation. One suffered a head wound and another resisted arrest.
    
Australian Federal Police said they believed the two 18-year-olds were plotting an attack to take place on ANZAC Day, April 25, a day on which those who served and died as Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers are remembered -- the country's most important national occasion.
    
"It is alleged both men were undertaking preparations for planning terrorist acts in Melbourne, which included targeting police officers," Victoria state and federal police said in a joint statement.
    
Acting Deputy Commissioner Neil Gaughan said it was believed the attacks were to have involved the use of "edged knives".
    
Praising police's swift action, Prime Minister Tony Abbott urged Australians to attend ANZAC Day centenary commemorations and not to be deterred by the terror plot. He asked people not to stay away from ANZAC Day events out of fear.
    
"The best thing you can do in the face of those who would do us harm is to live your life normally," Abbott said.
    
Counter-terrorism investigators raided properties across the city's southeast today and seized knives and swords, based on information that attacks were imminent, Australia's news agency reported.

Police confirmed the five men were associates of Abdul Numan Haider, the teenager shot dead by police in Endeavour Hills last year after stabbing two officers.
    
Some of the men also attended the Al-Furqan Information Centre at Springvale which has been investigated by counter-terrorism officers in the past.
    
Authorities have refused to give specific details of the alleged planned attacks but say police at ANZAC activities around Melbourne were the immediate target.
    
"I will say the attacks related to edged weapons," Victoria Police Acting Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton said.
    
"We believe the attacks could have occurred at any time in the next week," he said.

Latest News from World News Desk