Samples were collected in five locations of West Delhi, where daily sales are maximum.  For microbial analysis, five street and five franchisee food products were taken from the most popular shops. The collected food samples like samosa, golgappa, burger and momos were  twice collected  from shops and  outlets at a one-month interval.

The bacterial pathogens which were commonly found in research sample of  street eateries were Bacillus cereus (causes vomiting and diarrhoea), Clostridium perfringens (abdominal cramps and diarrhoea), Staphylococcus aureus (vomiting, appetite loss, abdominal cramps and mild fever), and Salmonella species (typhoid, food poisoning, irritation and inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract).

The FSSAI has proposed a Draft Code of Hygienic Practice for Street Vended Foods.
The draft code for street vendors is proposed by Draft Code of Hygienic Practice  which defines the general hygienic requirements and recommended practices concerning the preparation and vending of street foods.

The reason behind for such high levels of bacteria in the food is said to be contaminated water and unhygienic conditions while cooking. These bacteria can cause vomiting and diarrhea and several other digestive problems.

So next time you dig into your favourite plate of momos and cheesy burgers think twice about what you are about to ingest.

Latest News from Lifestyle News Desk