Madhepura: In yet another incident of suspected food-contamination, two women who cooked mid-day meal for students of a government middle school in Bihar's Madhepura district fainted after consuming the food. This is the third incident in as many days of people falling ill after eating mid-day meal in the state.
The cooks - Rita Devi and Renu Devi had prepared the food for the children studying in a school at Khar village of Gamariah block around 21 km from Madhepura district headuarters, the police said.
The school principal directed for the food’s disposal following complaints by the students that it emanated foul smell. But the two cooks ate it insisting that the food was hygienic and eventually fainted after a while.
None of the students consumed the food, the police said. District Magistrate Upendra Kumar said that the matter is being investigated. Police said that cooks were taken to a health centre at Gamariah for medical attention after they fainted.
Earlier, in Saran district, contaminated mid-day meal given to children of a school on Tuesday claimed the lives of 23 of them, while 50 others fell ill on Wednesday after eating the food, which was served to them in a Madhubani school.


Latest News  from Bihar News Desk