New Delhi: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday met Foreign Minister SM Krishna demanding the supply of entire electricity produced at the under construction Punat Sangchhu hydro electric project in Bhutan to his state.

Nitish Kumar is believed to have put forth a proposal before the Union Minister that Bihar is ready to invest in hydroelectric projects of Bhutan provided it gets the electricity in the same proportion.

Besides, both the leaders also discussed the issues like Nalanda International University and the CM’s proposed visit to China in the month of June.

Confronting the problem of electricity, Nitish Kumar had paid a four-day visit to Bhutan on May 4, and visited the hydroelectric projects being set up by the support of India.

Recently, he met Union Power Minister Shushil Kumar Shinde and sought Bihar’s share in the hydroelectric projects in Bhutan. He also wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in this regard.

According to sources, in the meeting with Krishna, the CM is stated to have proposed that out of 11 ongoing projects in Bhutan, Punat Sangchhu-I and Punat Sanghhu-II will produce 1200 and 1000 MW electricity, respectively. He has demanded that the entire electricity produced by Punat Sangchu-I should be made available to Bihar.

The water-resources rich Bhutan has a potential of producing 30,000 MW of hydro power. Therefore, India has asked it to generate an additional electricity of 10,000 MW by 2017. Presently, 1450 MW electricity is being produced by Chubha, Tala and two other small hydroelectric projects in Bhutan.

Notably, in the construction of hydroelectric projects of Bhutan, 80 per cent capital is invested by India and the rest of 20 per cent amount is also made available to it as a loan.

Under the Central pool, Bihar is provided only 700 MW electricity against its demand of over 2000 MW.

Nitish Kumar therefore has proposed that with the Centre’s nod Bihar is ready to invest in the hydroelectric projects of Bhutan provided it would get the power supply in the same ratio.

JPN/Bureau