New Delhi: Not everybody has the power to dream, and only few have that capacity to accomplish what they dream. Born on September 28, 1929, Lata Mangeshkar, who is popularly known as the 'Nightingale of India', did what she dreamt of doing even at the age of five.
- Born to Dinanath Mangeshkar, a classical singer and theatre artist, Lata started working as a theatre artist in 'sangeet natakalas' at an early age of five years. It was true that she started taking her singing lessons from her father.
- Lata made her debut in the field of singing from a Marathi movie known as 'Kiti Hasaal' (1942). The song was removed from the movie as her father did not like the daughter singing for films.
- In the year 1942, Lata lost her father, and due to poor financial conditions at home and also being the eldest child, she took up various acting projects.
- Lata's first Hindi playback was for the film 'Aap Ke Sewa Main' (1947). She was even rejected while auditioning as the era was then ruled by actress with heavier voices.
- Lata Mangeshkar finally got her share of recognition from the song 'Dil Mera Toda'. In 1949, she gave four major hits from the movies, 'Barsaat', 'Andaaz', 'Dulari' and 'Mahal'. The famous song 'Aayega Aanewala' from the movie 'Mahal' became a superhit.
- She left behind other singers in the industry. Lata along with her sister Asha Bhonsle ruled the roost in the music industry.
- The singer has been honoured with various awards. She is the only second singer in the non-classical category in India to have received the highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna. Apart from that, she has national awards, Filmfares, Dadasaheb Phale, Padma Bhushan and many other awards to her credit.
- The Indian Nightingale has made her way to the Guinness Book of World Records being the most recorded artist in the industry. To count it out, she has 30,000 solo, duets and chorus on her name, and that too in 20 different languages across the country between 1948 to 1987.
Birthday special in pics: Know more about legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar
Latest news from Entertainment News Desk