Kabul: An explosion from a roadside bomb tore into a minibus carrying people to a wedding in northern Afghanistan on Friday, leaving 15 dead and 18 wounded, police said. (Agencies)
Spokesman Shir Jan Durani said the group was travelling to Dawlat Abad district, about 450 kilometres northwest of the capital, Kabul.
District police commander Bismullah Muslimyar said six children and seven women were among the dead in the blast, which occurred at 6 am (local time) after a night time police patrol.
Earlier this month, the UN Security Council expressed serious concern at the high number of civilian casualties in the war, especially among women and children.
The Taliban and other militants are responsible for the overwhelming majority of civilian deaths in the country. About 77 pe rcent of the deaths between January and June can be attributed to insurgents, a UN report said.
Insurgent-placed homemade bombs continue to be the deadliest weapon for civilians, accounting for 29 per cent of all such deaths in the period, it said.
Separately, six football fans died and 36 were wounded on Friday when their bus collided with a fuel tanker on a narrow road about 400 kilometres northwest of the capital, provincial governor Mohammad Aleem Saaie said.
The fans were travelling to Kabul for the final round of the country's football championships.
Kabul: An explosion from a roadside bomb tore into a minibus carrying people to a wedding in northern Afghanistan on Friday, leaving 15 dead and 18 wounded, police said.