The video, released on Friday, came to alter the general expectations from Nigerians that the girls might be released following improved negotiations with the terrorists somewhere in the Chad Republic.

The girls were abducted from Chibok town in Borno state on the night of April 14-15. A reporter who watched the video in the country's northeastern city of Maiduguri, said the Boko Haram leader also disowned Danladi Adamu, the man who claimed to be the scribe of the sect.

Adamu quoted Shekau as saying that there was no ceasefire deal with the Nigerian government.

Last month, Nigeria's defence chief Alex Badeh announced that an agreement had been reached with the Boko Haram insurgents to end the hostilities and release the school girls who were earlier abducted by the terror group.

Badeh said he issued a directive to the members of the armed forces to comply with the ceasefire agreement, and that the Boko Haram, which seeks to enshrine the Islamic Sharia law in the Nigerian constitution, had also assured that the school girls and all other people in their captivity were alive and well.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, is currently grappling with security challenges, including the insurgency of Boko Haram.

Latest News from World News Desk