Damascus: Both sides in the Syrian conflict are violating a ceasefire, a top United Nations official said, as a rights group on Wednesday accused the regime of committing atrocities in the province of Idlib.
   
UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said on Tuesday that Syrian troops have kept heavy weapons in cities, and that both the government and rebels have violated the putative truce that went into effect April 12.
   
He also said UN members had so far only offered only 150 military observers for the 300-strong planned force and that Syria had refused visas for three proposed monitors.
   
But Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdisi denied visa requests had been turned down and said the two sides had agreed on the nationalities that could operate in Syria.
   
"We agreed with the UN negotiating team that nationalities of observers to be mutually agreed upon ... So there is no refusal per se ... There are far more than 110 nationalities that can easily work in Syria," he said. Ladsous said 24 monitors were currently in place.
   
"Regarding the heavy weapons, yes, our military observers do see a number of APCs (armoured personnel carriers), for instance; they see a number of Howitzers and other military equipment in most places where they are," he said.
   
Syria has told the monitors that the armoured carriers have been disarmed but this has not been verified, added Ladsous, a UN under secretary general.
   
"The important fact is that violations do come from both sides," he said while refusing to say whether one side had committed more breaches.
   
"All the parties need to take further steps to ensure a cessation of violence in all its forms," he said. More than 30 people, the majority of them civilians, were killed in violence across the country on Tuesday, monitors said.
   
Meanwhile, Human Right Watch accused the regime today of committing atrocities in Idlib province shortly before the truce went into effect.
   
"Syrian tanks and helicopters attacked one town in Idlib after another," Anna Neistat, associate director for programmes and emergencies at HRW, said in the report entitled "'They Burned My Heart': War Crimes in northern Idlib during Peace Plan negotiations."
   
"It was as if the Syrian government forces used every minute before the ceasefire to cause harm," she added. The New York-based organisation accused regime forces of summary executions, arbitrary detentions and burning and destruction of civilian property.

(Agencies)