New Delhi, Jan 07 (JNN): Criticising the CAG for arriving at 2G spectrum loss figures that have no basis, Telcom Minister Kapil Sibal on Friday said that they are extremely pained at methodology adopted by it. He added that the CAG's Rs 1.76 lakh crore loss figure is utterly erroneous.

Addressing mediapersons, the Union Minister said, "We are extremely pained at methodology adopted by CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General) for arriving at 2G spectrum (allocation loss) figures... that have no basis."

Adding further the Minister said that the opposition has no right to stall Parliament. He even said that the Opposition attitude has hampered the course of investigation of the scam and added that the figures brought out by the CAG are fraught with errors. He highlighted that the actual figure of the scam is Rs 90 thousand crore and not Rs 1.76 lakh crore.

The CAG in its 77-page report tabled in Parliament in November last year, had said that due diligence was not followed and even the recommendations of the telecom regulator TRAI were "not followed in spirit".

The report said the "presumptive" loss caused to the exchequer through spectrum allocation to 122 licensees and 35 dual technology licences in 2007-08 was Rs 1,76,645 crore. It arrived at the figure on the basis of 3G auction held earlier this year in which the government mopped up over Rs 67,000 crore.

He said that the Congress has always tried to reach out to the opposition to have a healthy debate on the 2Gscam but failed due to the opposition’s unconstitutional acts.