Los Angeles: In a study conducted by online retailer, it was discovered that eight out of 10 people feel that women over 50 should start dressing her age and forget about fashion, a website reported. (Agencies)
As a result, 80 percent of 50-plus females admitted that they have reluctantly changed their wardrobes to steer clear of clothes deemed too young for them. The top 10 fashion phobias that such women experience include wearing figure-hugging dresses, fitted skirts, skinny jeans, high heels, sleeveless tops, low-cut top, leather-look trousers, animal print, sheer material and jumpsuit.
However according to British media personality Carol Vorderman , fashion has no age limit. Vorderman is encouraging 50-plus females everywhere to prove the study wrong and shatter the myth that there’s an age limit to style, a website reported.
Vorderman, 52, said, "It’s heartbreaking to hear that so many women of my age are now afraid to wear trend-led clothes because of a feeling that society tells them they should ‘dress their age'."
"Fashion is about feeling good and having fun; should there really be an age limit to that? The way I see it, there are no hard or fast rules for how to dress when you reach 50, it’s about dressing for your shape to feel both confident and comfortable," she added.
Here are a few Vorderman fashion tips listed for women over 50 :
1. Show off your curves opt for a knee-length figure-hugging dress that fits well to the body.
2. A fitted pencil skirt that sits high on the waist and hits below the knee will help create the perfect silhouette.
3. Skinny jeans give the illusion of elongating the legs whilst also giving an outfit a more youthful, slimming look. It's all about finding the right cut.
4. Wedges are the perfect alternative to the stiletto heel and are a lot more comfortable.
5. Showing off those arms is undoubtedly a worry for some women but it's all about doing it in the right way with the right fitting top and a colour to match your skin tone. The only limit is your confidence.
6. When it comes to showing some skin, shoulders are just as sensual as cleavage.
7. Fifty-plus women should go hell for leather look trousers with a long length to elongate the leg. Teamed with a nice pair of wedge heels, a crisp white top and a smart blazer give a polished edge to what is, a statement look.
8. Animal print is a bold fashion statement but rather than block print, opt for flash panels or animal print accessories to spice up an outfit.
9. Pulling off a sheer blouse involves some smart layering. A slip or a classic tank top worn below is a wise choice and one that will keep you looking stylish and sophisticated
10. For a stylish change, pick a black jumpsuit. It's slimming and with a flared leg, it will flatter you in all the right places.
Los Angeles: In a study conducted by online retailer, it was discovered that eight out of 10 people feel that women over 50 should start dressing her age and forget about fashion, a website reported.