Mumbai, Jan 28 (Agencies): The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Friday appealed against the bail application filed by nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, saying that the reason mentioned was not valid.

In its reply filed before the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court here, CBI said, "The accused persons have not put forward any valid ground for consideration of their bail application and thus their bail application deserves to be rejected."

The agency said that it is conducting further investigation after obtaining formal permission of the court.

Nine Muslim men, arrested in connection with case have been in jail for the past four years. They had moved the MCOCA court on January 17 seeking bail, citing Swami Aseemanand's confession pointing to a right-wing group's involvement in the attack that killed 36 persons.

Aseemanand, who was arrested last November for his alleged role in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blasts, had said in his confession recorded before the magistrate last month, that a right-wing group was responsible for the 2006 blasts, which killed 36 people and injured over 100.

The blasts took place near Hamidia mosque in the Bada Kabristan area around 1.15 pm on Friday on September 8, 2006, after the Shab-e-Barat prayers.

The police had arrested nine persons - Salman Farsi, Shabir Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Rais Ahmed, Mohammed Ali, Asif Khan, Javed Sheikh, Farooque Ansari and Abrar Ahmed – for their alleged involvement in the blasts.

In December 2006, the case was handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation. The special court had directed the investigation agency to file its reply to the bail plea by Friday.