New Delhi, Jan 31 (Jagran News Network): Central Bureau of Investigation on Monday grilled former Union IT and Communication minister A Raja in the 2G scam allotment scam. This is the third time that the embattled DMK member has been questioned in the case.

Raja, who was questioned earlier on December 24 and 25 last year, was summoned to CBI office this morning and quizzed for nearly nine hours, official sources said.

The DMK MP was asked about his talk with corporate lobbiyst Niira Radia and the reasons of pre-poning the cut-off date of allocation of the spectrum in 2007.

Some of the questions were about the role of some of the kin of the former minister in a few offshoot companies of these telecom firms besides the flow of funds.

Raja was confronted with some documents recovered by the CBI during searches on DoT offices in October 2009 after registering a case against unnamed officers of DoT and telecom companies, the sources said.

While Raja was allowed to go home, CBI sources said he would be called again when he would be confronted with some more questions and documents.

The development comes on a day when the CBI asked the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) to provide on "top priority" information about the financial transactions and tripartite agreements between various banks and the 122 telecom companies allotted licenses in 2008.

In a letter written to DoT, the probe agency said the list of 122 allottees of Unified Access Services (UAS) licenses in the year 2008, duly attested, should be sent to it as the CBI has to furnish a status report before the Supreme Court in the second week of February.

The CBI pointed out in the letter that papers pertaining to Idea Cellular, Spice Telecom and Shyam Telelink, who were allotted 2G licenses by the DoT in 2007-08, have not been
furnished to the CBI.

The CBI claimed that some of the allottees had availed credit facilities from various banks by offering licences allotted by the DoT as a guarantee.

Meanwhile, Justice (Retd) Shivraj Patil on Monday submitted his probe report into the discrepancies of the allotment procedure to Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal and said: "I have identified the officials on whose part there were deficiency or were lapses".

The one-man panel that went into the procedures for giving 2G licences between 2001 and 2009 has identified the officials responsible for lapses in implementing the policy in a transparent and fair manner. He is reported to have named Raja, apart from top bureaucrats.