A well-placed source said that during a several-hour- long meeting of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) in Mumbai on Monday, several members of the board opposed the move to impose such a ban.
    
It is understood that status quo would be maintained and the list will be put on hold, the source said.
    
Attempts to contact CBFC chief Pahlaj Nihalani or CEO Shravan Kumar for an official comment did not fructify.
    
The CBFC had earlier issued a list of several abusive words while also asking filmmakers to use 'Mumbai' and not Bombay.
    
The letter by Nihalani directed its regional officers not to issue certificates to films which use these words, which are abuses in Hindi and English, and it has also been specified that double meaning words, violence against women and glorification of bloodshed should not be allowed.
    
The list evoked a strong reaction with many in the film fraternity opposing the move.
    
Sources said that the Information and Broadcasting ministry too was not very pleased with controversies that were emanating from the censor board.
    
A senior functionary in the ministry, however, said that it stays away from matters related to certification.

Latest news from Entertainment News Desk