New Delhi: The Central Government on Sunday gave green signal to the Uttar Pradesh government’s proposal for upgrading facilities for cancer treatment in the BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur.

After the Centre’s nod, the state government is gearing up to develop the medical college into tertiary cancer treatment center.

It is noteworthy that the state government has so far sent only one proposal out of the five proposals indicated by the Centre as a part of national programme to upgrade the cancer treatment facilities in hospitals across the country.

In the first phase, the Ministry of Health has planned to develop five tertiary cancer care centers under the National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS) in five hospitals across the state including Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science in Lucknow and other hospitals at Kanpur, Gorakhpur, Allahabad and Varanasi. But, as the state government has submitted the proposal for Gorakhpur only, the other development plans still remain pending.

The Central Government is going to upgrade cancer treatment facilities in 100 districts across the country under the Special Intensive Programme. Under the programme, proper arrangements will be made for providing better facilities for early diagnosis and treatment in the district hospitals and further giving better treatments for patients especially in advanced stage in the tertiary cancer care hospitals.

In the preliminary stage, the arrangements will meet the demand of only 1 lakh cancer patients.

Each tertiary cancer care centers will cost Rs 6 crore. 80 percent of the total amount (Rs 4.8 crore) will be granted by the Central Government while the remaining 20 percent (Rs 1.2 crore) will be shared by the state government.

JPN/Bureau