New Delhi: In the wake of Delhi gang rape incident, the government on Wednesday reviewed the law and order situation in the national capital and directed the Delhi Police to beef up security, especially for women, and expedite pending criminal cases.

In separate meetings with Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde reviewed the security situation besides functioning of the police.

"We have reviewed the law and order situation in Delhi. Security of common people and women is our prime concern. I have also directed the police to expedite the pending criminal cases," Shinde told reporters here.

He said several decisions have been taken to improve security in the city and he would announce them on Thursday.

The Home Ministry has already directed the police to register FIR on any complaint by women and those police officers failing to do so would be suspended immediately.

The Lieutenant Governor said he has discussed with the Home Minister how to improve security in Delhi and in particularly safety of women in public places.

Khanna said he would welcome people willing to meet him with their complaints and suggestions, especially on security-related issues.

The Chief Minister said that she had conveyed to the Home Minister that the Centre must do something so that people feel secure in the capital.

Dikshit said police has to be people-friendly, there should be perceptible change in police's attitude and more women should be inducted into the force.

"There should be intensified patrolling and more close-circuit television cameras should be installed in key places.

"People want action from their elected government. People come to me. I want to know what all can be done since law and order is not with us," she said.

The Delhi government has no control over the Delhi Police which is under the central government. Dikshit has been demanded handing over the control of the city police to her government.

She also said there was no need to use water canons when people were protesting outside her residence after the December 16 gang rape of the 23-year-old girl.

The victim, a paramedic student, was brutally raped and assaulted in the moving bus. She passed away in a Singapore hospital on December 29.


Latest News from India News Desk