New Delhi/Lucknow: A crucial meeting between the agitated Jats and the government failed to find an amicable solution to their demand for job quota on Saturday even as the protestors withdrew their fortnight-long blockade from the railway tracks following an Allahabad High Court order.

Emerging from a meeting with Home Minister P Chidambaram and Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul Wasnik, All India Jat Aarakshan Samiti chief Yashpal Malik said they have decided to allow movement of trains following Friday's Allahabad High court order and removed tents from the tracks.

"The government accepted that the demand of job quota for the Jats is justified. But the government did not give any commitment on the time-limit on implementation of our demand," he told reporters outside the Home Ministry amidst sloganeering by his supporters.

Malik said that as of now their agitation was continuing and would decide about their course of action after holding a meeting with the community elders soon.

Secretary to the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment K M Acharya said the demand for inclusion of Jats into the Central government list of OBCs has to be taken by the Backward Castes Commission, for which the government cannot give any time-bound commitment as the Commission was an independent entity.

"There is no final solution. They have not given any assurance on withdrawal of the talks. We told them that any decision of the Commission would be implemented by the government urgently. It is not possible for the government to give a time limit," he said.

Asked what would be the government's response if the protesting Jats renew their blockade on the railway tracks, Acharya said "since law and order is a state subject, we hope that the concerned state government will take the necessary steps for smooth flow of train and road traffic".

On an Allahabad High Court order asking the protesting Jats to lift the blockade of the rail tracks, the Jats allowed movement of trains at Moradabad railway station and also lifted the blockade on the National Highway.

The agitation to demand reservation in Central government jobs began on March 5 and had thrown train services out of gear forcing the Railways to cancel dozens of trains passing through the area enroute Mumbai and Ahmedabad.

Taking suo motu cognisance of public inconvenience caused by the ongoing Jat agitation, the Allahabad High Court had on Friday directed officials of Uttar Pradesh and the Central government to clear railway tracks and National Highways of the protesters.

Seeking to take credit for Jat leaders' decision to clear the tracks, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati said the people of the community had done so due to an appeal by the state government.

Accusing the Centre of precipitating the Jat crisis, she told reporters in Lucknow, "It was due to the lackadaisical attitude of the Centre that the problem aggravated and the HC had to intervene. We are thankful to the court for paving the way for getting the tracks cleared."

The state sought 5,000 Central paramilitary personnel last evening but the reinforcement has not been provided so far, Mayawati said, claiming that whenever the state had demanded CPMF in crucial situations, the Centre turned it down on some pretext.

In the absence of Central forces, the state decided to get the tracks cleared with the help of its limited resources, she said.

Mayawati said the UP government supports their demand but since the matter comes under the ambit of the Centre, it is for the Union government to decide.

Meanwhile, Hawa Singh Sangwan, Haryana state president of All India Jat Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti, said they will convey the outcome of talks with the Centre to the agitating Jats on Sunday and decide future course of action after seeking their opinion.

"Tomorrow, we will hold a meeting with those sitting at the dharna spots and convey them the Centre's decision of not agreeing to give any time-frame though they gave a patient hearing to our demand," Sangwan said.

(Agencies)