Enjoying the lead for most part of the encounter, the Indian defence wilted under late Germany pressure to concede the equaliser to Germany just three minutes before the hooter at the Lee Valley Hockey Centre.

Jonas Gomoll converted a 57th minute penalty stroke with a deft flick to save Germany the blushes after they had trailed behind the Indians.
From the moment VR Raghunath converted the first Indian penalty corner in the sixth minute, India had enjoyed the lead throughout, except for one minute when Germany equalised in the first quarter.

Goals from Mandeep Singh (26th minute) and Harmanpreet Singh (32nd) gave India a 3-1 lead, but Germany forced a series of penalty corners against a shaky Indian defence. Two penalty corner conversions by Tom Grambusch in the 25th and 6th minute kept Germany in the contest before Gomoll's penalty stroke restored parity.
The under-pressure Indian defenders conceded nine penalty corners and several of them were soft fouls, while their own strikers earned four at the other end.
The game began with the Indian defenders rushing out to block the early first penalty corner for Germany. The Indians then had a first look at the rival goal in the fifth minute, but Akashdeep Singh's shot was blocked by goalkeeper Tobias Walter.

Indian took the lead in the sixth minute as Raghunath converted the first penalty corner with a low drag flick into the left corner that beat the outstretched hands of custodian Walter.

Two minutes later, Indian captain and goalkeeper PR Sreejesh warded off danger by diving of his left to block a push in the crowded circle.
Striker SV Sunil picked up a diagonal ball inside the circle to shoot into the goal in the 18th minute, but it was disallowed after review, when the video umpire ruled that the ball had touched his foot.

Germany equalized through a penalty corner conversion by Grambusch in the 25th minute. Grambush's low drag flick went off the goalkeeper's pads into the net.

Latest News from Sports News Desk