Mumbai: Six months after the murder of senior crime journalist J Dey, the Mumbai police on Saturday filed a chargesheet against 12 accused, including fugitive gangster Chhota Rajan, in the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court here.

The chargesheet, running into 3,055 pages, did not name the recently arrested accused Jigna Vora, Deputy Bureau Chief of The Asian Age. A separate supplementary chargesheet,
elaborating Vora's role in the crime, will be filed later, police said.

Dey, working with city-based tabloid Mid Day, was shot dead in suburban Powai on June 11 by assailants, who followed him on motorcycles at the behest of Rajan, who gave Rs 5 lakh to the accused for the murder contract, police said.

Rajan had apparently ordered Dey's killing as the latter had written articles against him. Vora allegedly instigated Rajan to bump off Dey due to professional rivalry and made
available to the ganglord licence plate number of the scribe's motorcycle and his address, police added.

So far, 11 accused -- Rohee Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya, Abhijeet Shinde, Arun Dake, Sachin Gaikwad, Anil Waghmode, Nilesh Shendge, Mangesh Agawane, Vinod Asrani,
Paulson Joseph, Deepak Sisodia and Vora -- have been arrested in connection with the case.

Two persons--Rajan and his aide Nayan Singh, have been shown as wanted accused.

The Crime Branch had, on September 8, applied stringent provisions of the MCOCA against those arrested.

Satish Kalya, sharp shooter of Rajan gang, had fatally shot Dey, the chargesheet said adding Waghmode had done recce of the parking lot where the slain journalist had parked his bike. Others had accompanied Kalya while Vinod Asrani, cricket bookie, had facilitated the crime.

The chargesheet has named 176 persons as witnesses and included statements of some of them. The bulky document describes in details the role played by each accused.

According to it, while Dake was riding the bike, Kalya pumped in five bullets into the 56-year-old scribe. Shinde, Shendge, Waghmode and Agawane were on two other motorcycles.
Gaikwad was following the mobikes in a Qualis.

After the murder, all seven accused went to suburban Jogeshwari, where they saw the news about the incident on television. Only after seeing news channels, the shooters came to know about the identity of the person they had shot dead.

When they realised they had killed a journalist, Kalya called up overseas-based Rajan, who advised them to stay calm. Rajan then asked them to collect Rs three lakh more and go out of Mumbai, police said.

Gaikwad and Agawane stayed back in Jogeshwari, while the rest collected Rs three lakh from Nalasopara in adjoining Thane district and went on a pilgrimage trip to various places in Gujarat, Shirdi, Karnataka, Sangli, Solapur, Bangalore, Madurai and Rameshwaram.

A fortnight after the murder, Kalya, Waghmode and Shinde were picked up from Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu, when they were about to visit Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh and placed under arrest in Mumbai.

Shendge was nabbed from Solapur, western Maharashtra, while Dake, Gaikwad and Agawane were arrested from Mumbai's Dharavi area, police said.

The 0.32 US-made revolver, 20 live rounds, along with five empty cartridges, the three mobikes and Qualis car used for the crime and Rs 20,000 in cash were recovered from them, they said, adding the accused had distributed among themselves the total contract amount of Rs 5 lakh.

In the first week of July, Vinod Asrani alias Vinod Chembur, a bookie and builder who is believed to be a close aide and financier of Rajan, was held for holding meeting with the shooters and giving them money for the job, police said.

Subsequently, Sisodia, who had allegedly given the 0.32 mm US-made revolver to Kalya near Nainital, was arrested by Uttarakhand Police and brought to Mumbai.

Later, Joseph, who had provided global SIM cards to the accused, was held. The cards were procured from Dubai.

Meanwhile, Murtuza, who filed an application on Friday in the court saying he wanted to return four SIM cards and as many mobile phones given to him by Vora, on Saturday withdrew his plea without assigning any reason for it.

As police did not object, the court allowed him to withdraw the application.