"As of now, 60 are dead and out of this 40 are men and 20 women," Director of Public Health K Kulandaisamy said.

There is still a good "probability" of survivors, the official said and added that "past experience in such situations elsewhere suggests the probability of survivors," though Thursday is the sixth day of rescue work.
     
On the number of persons feared to be still trapped, he declined to specify and reiterated that the authorities were hopeful of pulling out all those trapped alive.
    
"We hope that the rescue work will be fully completed by evening tomorrow (Friday)," DIG, National Disaster Response Force, SP Selvan said.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa earlier in the day announced that the one-man commission headed by Justice (Retd) R Reghupathy will probe the circumstances leading to the collapse of the building.
     
"The Commission will find out whose ignorant attitude resulted in such a mishap that left many workers dead and decide on (fixing) those responsible for it," she said.    

27 persons, including eight women, were rescued alive till July 1 after the mishap at Porur on June 28.
      
A revenue official engaged in rescue work indicated, "It is feared that there could still be 20-25 more persons trapped in the debris."

(JPNAgencies)

Latest News from State News Desk