New Delhi: In an attempt to curb the rising menace of Left Wing Extremism (LWE) in the country, the Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Sunday directed Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) to target top naxal leaders.

Earlier this month, in a meeting held with the CRPF officials, Chidambaram mentioned about naxal operation in Andhra Pradesh where insurgent leaders were apprehended and killed in encounter.

Citing the battle against naxalites in Andhra Pradesh, Chidambaram said that top leaders who were either arrested or killed during the operation has dealt a blow to insurgents in the state. In absence of top leaders the other active naxalites are facing troubles in conducting their activities.

According to the senior sources in the CRPF, the battalions have been facing poor response in anti-naxals operation. It is due to this reason; Chidambaram has advised CRPF to attack top extremist leaders. It is worth mentioning that the special regiment formed by the CRPF ‘Cobra Battalion’ had faced defeat in nearly 83 percent operations.  In remaining 17 percent cases, naxalite cadre of small levels are caught or killed in gun battle.

During the meeting, Chidambaram discussed about the slain Naxalite leaders Kishenji of Junglemahal and Azaad of Andra Pradesh. He said top naxal leaders who are active in Odisha and Jharkhand forest can be easily captured.

Apart from this, CRPF soldiers are going through special training session to gather information about the naxalite nexus functional in dense forests.