New Delhi: Following is the chronology of events in the journalist Shivani Bhatnagar murder case in which the Delhi High Court on Wednesday acquitted former IPS officer Ravi Kant Sharma and two others. * Oct 25, 2002: Police files charge sheet, accusing R K Sharma for the murder. Sharma gave Shivani classified government documents. (Agencies)
* Jan 23, 1999: Bhatnagar, an Indian Express journalist, killed at her east Delhi residence.
* Jul 23, 2002: Police arrests Sri Bhagwan, son of a former Haryana police officer who once worked with R K Sharma.
* Aug 2, 2002: Delhi Police raids R K Sharma's residence at Panchkula in Haryana but is unable to apprehend him. Co-accused Pradeep Sharma arrested.
* Aug 6, 2002: Panchkula court rejects R K Sharma's interim bail plea. Delhi police releases R K Sharma's picture and declare a reward of Rs 50,000.
* Aug 8, 2002: R K Sharma's wife Madhu alleges involvement of "an influential person", seeks CBI probe.
* Aug 12, 2002: Delhi Police gets forensic report on the handwriting and finger prints of co-accused Pradeep Sharma. R K Sharma seeks bail in a court here.
* Aug 13, 2002: Court rejects Sharma's bail plea.
* Aug 15, 2002: R K Sharma's wife Madhu alleges complicity of BJP leader Pramod Mahajan in the murder. Mahajan refutes allegations, says he shared a professional relationship with Shivani.
* Aug 16, 2002: Police gives clean chit to Mahajan and confirms arrest of co-accused Satya Prakash in the case.
* Aug 18, 2002: Another accused Ved Prakash Sharma nabbed.
* Aug 23, 2002: R K Sharma suspended.
* Sep 27, 2002: R K Sharma surrenders at Ambala, sent to police custody.
* Oct 8, 2002: Police claims R K Sharma confessed his role in the murder. Sharma's files contempt plea against police.
* Jan 4, 2003: Case sent to Sessions Court for trial.
* March 3, 2003: Charges framed against Sharma and five others.
* March 20, 2003: Trial commences.
* Jan 23, 2005: Case sent to a fast-track court.
* Jul 21, 2006: SC stays Delhi High Court and trial court order asking police to furnish case diaries to R K Sharma.
* Oct 9, 2007: Prosecution says Shivani intended to expose R K Sharma for offences under the Official Secrets Act.
* Nov 15, 2007: Prosecution concludes arguments.
* Nov 23, 2007: Sharma says call records are "fabricated."
* Dec 4, 2007: Sharma says he shared friendly relations and no had a secret affair.
* Feb 29, 2007: Final arguments end.
* March 5, 2008: Court reserves verdict.
* March 18, 2008: Court convicts R K Sharma along with three others and acquits Ved Prakash Sharma, Ved alias Kalu.
* March 24, 2008: Court sentences R K Sharma and three others to life imprisonment.
* March 26, 2008: R K Sharma and three other convicts file appeal in the Delhi High Court.
* March 29, 2008: The HC admits convicts' appeals.
* Nov 22, 2010: HC starts hearing arguments.
* Dec 21, 2010: HC reserves verdict.
* Oct 12, 2011: HC acquits R K Sharma, Sri Bhagwan and Satya Prakash. It upholds conviction and life term of Pradeep Sharma.
New Delhi: Following is the chronology of events in the journalist Shivani Bhatnagar murder case in which the Delhi High Court on Wednesday acquitted former IPS officer Ravi Kant Sharma and two others.
* Oct 25, 2002: Police files charge sheet, accusing R K Sharma for the murder. Sharma gave Shivani classified government documents.