Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday said America will not be sending military advisers to Libya. Clinton while backing a move by three nations of UK, France and Italy said, "There is a desire to help them be more organised and we support that. We're not participating in it."

Asserting that Washington was preparing to grant non-lethal aid of USD 25 million to the Libyan opposition, Hillary said, “We are moving to authorise up to USD 25 million in non-lethal commodities and services to support the Transitional National Council and our efforts to protect civilians."

But appearing in an interview, Clinton responded with a "no" when asked if US would follow its allies UK, France and Italy to send military advisers to Libya.

The White House had earlier said President Barack Obama backed the three countries decision saying it would help opposition to battle Gaddafi's forces. "But it doesn't at all change the President's policy of no boots on the ground", White House Spokesman Jay Carney said.

Disagreeing with assessments that the battle in Libya had reached a stalemate, the Secretary of State said US policy was to head towards a point where a political resolution was possible, but without the strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

The special US representative on Libya Chris Stevens who is in Benghazi, as well as a USAID team are meeting continuously with their counterparts there in order to support their needs and protect civilians, Clinton said.

Civilians, including businessmen, students, lawyers, doctors, professors have bravely moved to defend their communities and to call for an end to the regime in Libya, and US will continue to take actions consistent with UN authorisation to try to fulfill the international commitment, Clinton added.

Agencies