Refusing to accept CBI's closure report in the allotment of a coal block to Birla's firm Hindalco, special CBI Judge Bharat Parashar said, "I have ordered further investigation. I desire that statements of the then minister of coal (Manmohan Singh) be recorded besides other officials."
The investigating agency has been asked to file a status report on January 27.
The CBI had booked Birla, former coal secretary PC Parakh, and others on charges of criminal conspiracy and corruption in the coal blocks' allocation in October 2013. But the central investigating agency filed a closure report in the case on August 28, saying, "The evidence collected during investigations did not substantiate the allegations levelled against the people named in the FIR."

The court, earlier, sought to know on what basis did the CBI draw its conclusion to close the case and what kind of investigation it has conducted.
The court also sought clarifications from the CBI whether an element of criminality was involved in allocating the coal blocks to the Birla-promoted Hindalco firm.
In August, the Supreme Court ruled that all coal blocks allocated by successive governments since 1993 are illegal.

Special Public Prosecutor RS Cheema, in the last month's hearing, had told the court that it could take cognizance of the CBI's closure report filed October 21 as there was no prima facie "evidence against the accused to show their involvement".
 On November 25, CBI had come in for some tough questioning from the court which had asked why the agency did not question former Prime Minister Singh.
Singh was heading the Coal Ministry when Birla's firm Hindalco was allocated Talabira II & III coal blocks in 2005.

Latest News from India News Desk