Leader of Opposition in Uttarakhand Assembly, Ajay Bhatt, said that it was a ‘matter of shame’ that instead of the state government coming forward to perform the last rites of those killed in the tragedy, it was a private social organization which was going to do so on Monday in Haridwar.     

"It is a matter of shame that the government is doing nothing to perform the last rites of those killed in the tragedy. A social organization - Vishwa Janjagriti Mission - is doing so in Haridwar tomorrow. The Congress government has no moral authority to rule. The government should either itself resign or be dismissed at the earliest," he said on Sunday.
Bhatt said that the human remains are still being found in houses adjacent to the Kedarnath shrine and the government has done nothing to retrieve them. The government should have ideally retrieved the bodies long back and handed them over to their next of kin, he added.
"I will quit not just as Leader of Opposition but also as an MLA and from politics itself if the claims made by me that skeletons are still (lying in the area) are proved wrong," he said, claiming that he has himself carried out the 'Char dhaam yatra' of Gangotri, Yamnotri, Badrinath and Kedarnath on foot.
He added that the state government was using as an excuse the Geological Survey of India view that if the houses around Kedarnath shrine are opened, it may prove dangerous to the ancient temple.
On being asked if BJP will seek Centre's help in retrieving the bodies/skeletons, he said that they have asked the state government to approach the Union government in this regard as also the army and paramilitary to undertake reconstruction work.
A cloudburst and resultant flash floods in June last year in Uttarakhand had led to heavy casualties and caused widespread damage in the hill state.


Latest News from Uttarakhand News Desk