New Delhi: After trail court’s verdict on Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy’s plea to make Home Minister P Chidambaram co-accused in the multi-crore 2G spectrum allocation scam, the CBI said that the judgments pronounced by a trial court and the Supreme Court on Saturday and Thursday respectively has proved that the ongoing investigation into the scam is unbiased and fair.

Earlier on Friday, the Supreme Court had made it clear that it had not found any role of the Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the 2G allocation that cost the exchequer a loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crores

 “After court’s verdict, we expect that no one will say that the CBI is investigating on the behest of government. The judgment was pronounced on the basis of the documents submitted by the CBI in the court,” a senior CBI officer said.

According to the CBI officials, the investigative agency can’t frame charges against anyone without gathering ample proofs.

When asked to react on the Finance Ministry note to the PMO signed by Pranab Mukherjee stating that the scam could have been averted by Chidambaram, the CBI officer said, “If he had failed to stop A Raja then it doesn’t mean that he was involved in the offence.”

Giving a clean chit to Chidambaram, special CBI Judge OP Saini on Saturday said that there was no evidence to suggest that Chidambaram obtained any pecuniary benefits.

The court judgment also said that merely attending a meeting and taking decision is not criminal. There was no material to suggest that Chidambaram deliberately wanted to fix the spectrum prices.

In its 46-page judgment Justice Saini said that the decisions taken by Chidambaram as the Finance Minister may have resulted in a loss but it does not amount to a criminal offence.

(JPN/Bureau)