New Delhi: The crucial joint meeting between the Indian officials and the International Olympic Committee in Lausanne on Wednesday agreed in principle on a roadmap to bring India back in the Olympic fold.
     
The meeting, which assumed great importance for India's sporting future, will now work out the exact details and the timeframe to get the ban lifted since it was imposed on December 4 last for India's failure to adhere to the Olympic Charter.
     
A top IOA official, who is part of the delegation, said that the meetings have gone off very well and the combined meeting of IOA, Sports Ministry and IOC officials is now in progress to work out the details.
     
"It was a good and fruitful meetings so far. We are hopeful of an early solution to the issues. A roadmap is being drawn for India's return to the Olympic fold," the top official said.
     
The meeting was attended by Sports Minister Jitendra Singh, Sports Secretary P K Deb, Beijing Olympics gold-medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra and Olympian sailor Malav Shroff.
    
The run-up to the meeting has been marred by the dramatic pullout of IOA Acting President V K Malhotra and IOC Member in India, Randhir Singh.
     
The two decided to boycott the meeting after the IOC agreed to include Batra and Anand in the IOA delegation for the meeting, in addition to the four-member list submitted earlier.
     
It is also learnt that the Olympic Council of Asia, which had only asked the IOC not to interact with the suspended IOA officials and postpone the meeting to mid-June, was represented in the meeting by its Director of the Asian Games Department, Haider Farman.
    
The day started with the IOA delegation meeting with IOC which lasted for one-and-a-half hours. It was followed by a meeting with the Sports Ministry delegation which lasted for an hour or so.
     
After these two preliminary meetings, a combined meeting took place where the delegates gave their views on the contentious Sports Bill and the amendments to the IOA's constitution.
     
It is learnt that the IOA delegates agreed in principle to the age and tenure restrictions and were also willing to carry out certain reforms in accordance with the Olympic Charter.
     
The IOC, on its part, is expected to issue a press release on the development at a later stage.
     
The IOC had decided to ban India as the IOA had failed to comply with the Olympic Charter and also allowed a tainted official to contest elections for a top post.
     
A day after the ban was imposed, the IOA went ahead with the elections under the government's Sports Code, defying the IOC's diktat to hold the polls under the Olympic Charter.
     
The IOC declared the elections "null and void", besides also directing those elected not to discharge any official duties. The world body, which communicated only with Malhotra and Randhir after the ban, also asked the National Sports Federations to distance from the Abhay Singh Chautala-led dispensation.

(JPN/Agencies)

Latest News from Sports News Desk