New Delhi: The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee has sought a three-month extension till September end to assist in the ongoing multi-agency probe by CBI and CVC among others into alleged irregularities in the conduct of the sporting extravaganza.
    
OC officials said the decision to seek the extension was taken at an Executive Body meeting attended by senior functionaries of the Games organising body and Sports Ministry officials among others.
    
"There are a lot of pending works related to payments and assets transfer. We are also coordinating with different agencies like CVC and CBI to help them in their probe. Keeping all things in mind, the EB decided to seek extension of the tenure till September 30," OC Chief Executive Officer Jarnail Singh said.
   
Singh said, "We are sending our recommendation to Sports Ministry".
   
If approved by the government, it will be the second time that the OC term would be extended. The Organising Committee was first scheduled to be wound up by March this year but authorities decided to extend the tenure till June 30.

Singh said the office is still getting queries from various investigating agencies and it requires manpower and other resources available in the OC to respond to them.
    
He said the OC will ensure that it finishes all works before October and hand over charge to the government.
     
The Organising Committee was entrusted with the job of conducting the Games held here between October 3-14 last year.

The Games were tainted by series of scams allegedly involving former OC officials.

Sacked OC chief Suresh Kalmadi and Secretary General Lalit Bhanot are lodged in Tihar jail here for their alleged involvement in corruption.
    
The CBI has registered over 10 FIRs in connection with the scam.

(Agencies)