New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission will give some more fresh cases to CBI to probe alleged criminal conspiracy and graft by certain government employees in carrying out Commonwealth Games-related projects.

Sources in the country's anti-corruption body said that its Chief Technical Examination wing has zeroed in on at least three-four cases where large scale financial and administrative irregularities have been noticed.

"A meeting with CBI officials is scheduled later next week. We will be giving them three-four cases to CBI with a request to register a preliminary enquiry into them to probe alleged irregularities," a senior CVC official said requesting anonymity.

He said irregularities like cost escalation and meddling with official documents to favour private contractors have been noticed by the CVC.

"The cases involve certain senior government officials working in both Central and Delhi Government departments. The final call, whether a PE has to be registered or not, will be taken by the CBI officials," he said refusing to divulge further details on the names of officials and offices.

They said the decision to hand over few cases was taken recently after Central Vigilance Commissioner Pradeep Kumar, who took over as chief of the probity watchdog on July 14, asked its officials to speed up the probe in the Commonwealth Games scam.

The CVC has found alleged wrong doings to the tune of several crore of rupees in several projects executed by civic and construction agencies in the run up to the mega sporting event held here between October 3-14 last year.

Besides CBI has also registered FIRs in over 12 cases for alleged bunglings and criminal conspiracy and named senior CWG Organising Committee, Central and Delhi government officials.

“We have already given documents showing alleged irregularities to the CBI," the official said.

According to the reply given in response to an RTI query filed by PTI, at least 40 works related to the Games were being looked into by CVC officials for alleged irregularities.

Sacked OC chief Suresh Kalmadi and Secretary General Lalit Bhanot among others are lodged in Tihar Jail for their alleged involvement in the scam.

Jail doctor to decide Kalmadi's medical need

A Delhi court on Thursday asked the Tihar jail doctor to determine whether any follow up medical attention was required for sacked Commonwealth Games OC chief Suresh Kalmadi, who recently underwent an MRI brain scan.

"MRI scan of brain of Kalmadi was done at the LNJP hospital, report has been received. The Jail doctor is directed to inform within next 3 days as to any following action is required," Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh said.

Kalmadi also sought to know from the CBI if probe relating to the charge sheet is still on in the light of additional documents being filed by it.

"The additional documents relate to the present charge sheet and further investigation is on," the CBI said.

The charge sheet accuses Kalmadi and ten others, including two companies, of corruption, cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy in awarding the Timing, Scoring and Result system contract to co-accused 'Swiss Timing' at an exorbitant rate causing a loss of over Rs 90 crore to the exchequer.

Meanwhile, the court rejected requests made by OC's sacked treasurer M Jayachandran for soft mattresses in light of the report of the medical officer specifying no such medical need.

His plea for home-made food was also dismissed. "As far as providing homemade food, the jail superintendent has informed that on days of meeting with the relatives, the accused are allowed to consume homemade food brought by relatives. On other days wholesome food is provided in jail," the judge said.

Kalmadi to be transported in separate van

Meanwhile, a Delhi court allowed sacked Commonwealth Games OC Chairman Suresh Kalmadi and others arrested for alleged irregularities in awarding a contract to a Swiss firm to be transported to court in a separate van after they expressed fear of being attacked by other undertrials.

Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh directed the jail authorities to bring Kalmadi and other five officials of Organising Committee in a different van from Tihar Jail to the court for proceedings.

"Report has been received from the Deputy Commissioner of Police. Their (Kalmadi and other accused) plea for transporting in separate jail van due to security concerns is allowed," the court said.

The six accused had on July 14 moved an application expressing their apprehension of being attacked in the jail van by other undertrials.

The other arrested co-accused in the case are OC former director general V K Verma, OC former secretary general Lalit Bhanot, OC former officials M Jayachandran, Surjit Lal and ASV Prasad.

The judge had then directed the jail superintendents "to explore the possibility of transporting Kalmadi and others to the court on dates of hearing in a separate van".

All the accused have been indicted for various offences, including those of criminal conspiracy under Section 120 (B), cheating (Section 420), forgery (Section 468 & 471) of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act.

(Agencies)