Renowned for his express pace, ferocious bounce and capacity to intimidate, the 34-year-old announced last week he was calling it quits from all forms of international cricket, saying he had lost the hunger.
Lehmann said he and Smith, well aware of Australia's inexperienced pace stocks, wanted Johnson to extend his international career but he was not interested.
"His mind was made up as soon as he spoke to Steven and myself," Lehmann was cited as saying.

In announcing his retirement after the second Test against New Zealand in Perth, Johnson said he had been contemplating it for around 12 months.
His exit has resulted in a major shake-up of Australia's pace attack ahead of the historic day-night third Test in Adelaide starting Friday.
Mitchell Starc is the only quick guaranteed a spot in the team with Josh Hazlewood, Peter Siddle and James Pattinson all in the mix to partner him.

Latest News from Sports News Desk