New Delhi: One more person allegedly involved in the rape of a five-year-old girl here a week ago has been arrested, police said on Monday.
Pradeep, the second accused, was apprehended from Bihar in a joint operation by Delhi and Bihar Police, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said.
"He will be brought to Delhi on Monday after getting a transit remand from Darbhanga court," Kumar said.
Manoj, the first accused who was arrested on Saturday from Muzaffarpur in Bihar, had told police during interrogation that one of his friends was also involved in the crime.
The girl was raped on April 15 in a building in east Delhi's Gandhinagar locality where the victim and accused Manoj lived and she was rescued 40 hours later on April 17.
Manoj had fled from the house thinking that the girl was dead.
Asked about allegations that the accused was involved in a rape case earlier and was forced to marry the victim, the police officer said, "We don't have any such information. We have heard about the allegations. We will verify it
from Bihar Police."
Kumar's wife denied the allegation that she was raped by the accused who was forced to marry her. "It was a false case slapped on him due to a land dispute. There is no truth in this," she told a TV channel.
She said that she heard about the rape of the five-year-old girl allegedly by her husband. "I have not seen her. I don't know that family," she said.

Meanwhile, the anger over the gruesome rape spilled onto the capital's streets. The day witnessed outraged students and women staging demonstrations at India Gate, Police Headquarters and near the residences of the Prime Minister and Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
Placard-wielding protesters also gathered at AIIMS, where the girl is undergoing treatment, and burnt the effigy of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar demanding his sacking.
Traffic was disrupted at ITO and India Gate in the evening as the number of protesters swelled.
More than 100 people, who staged protests at PHQ and near the residences of Singh and Gandhi, were detained and later released. Rapid Action Force personnel were deployed near the residence of the Prime Minister and PHQ.

The protesters were in small groups unlike the thousands who had swamped India Gate and Rajpath last December following the rape of a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus, but their anger was palpable.


Latest News from India News Desk