New Delhi: Following is the chronology of the events leading up to filing of chargesheet in the case of gang rape and murder of the 23-year-old paramedical student:

December 16, 2012: A 23-year-old paramedical student is brutally gang-raped by six persons in a moving bus after she and her male friend board it on their way back from watching a movie in a south Delhi mall. Both of them are assaulted, stripped, robbed and thrown out of the bus.

December 17: Police arrest Ram Singh, the driver of the bus.

December 18: Delhi court sends Ram Singh to five-day police custody. Three others - Mukesh, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma are arrested. Delhi High Court assures action in the case.

December 19: Court sends Pawan and Vinay to four-day police custody, while Mukesh is sent to judicial custody for his identification test. Delhi High Court takes suo motu cognizance of the gang rape incident and decides to monitor the probe. Victim's friend records statement in court. Another accused, a juvenile, is arrested in relation to the crime.

December 20: The male friend of the victim identifies one of the accused as the rapist in Tihar Jail during the TIP. The juvenile is sent to the Juvenile Justice Board.

December 21: Delhi HC slams city police for the report filed by it in the case. Another accused Akshay Thakur is arrested.

December 23: High Court says there will be day-to-day trial in all sexual assault cases in the capital. Ram Singh, Pawan and Vinay refuse to undergo identification test and are sent to Tihar jail for 14-day judicial custody.

December 25: Mukesh, brother of Ram, sent to Tihar jail till January 6.

December 26: Victim flown to a Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital. Government asks a retired Delhi High Court judge to probe the case. Victim's male friend identifies Akshay Thakur as one of the persons involved in the crime.

December 29: Victim dies in the Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital due to severe brain injury. She breathed her last at 4:45 AM (2:15 AM India time).

January 2:  Fast track court to try sexual offence cases against women is inaugurated by Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir. Owner of the bus, Dinesh Yadav, in which paramedic was brutally raped and assaulted, detained.

January 3: Delhi Police file chargesheet in a court here against the five men, slapping murder, rape, kidnapping, dacoity, destruction of evidence and other charges.


Latest News from India News Desk