New Delhi: A day after the Delhi High Court pulled up city police for its lackluster approach in the gang rape incidence of 23-year-old paramedical student, the Delhi Police on Wednesday apologized to the High Court and admitted lapses in the probe. Delhi police has also admitted that they have not come out with satisfactory status report in the case.

READ MORE: Delhi gang rape: HC pulls up police

The Delhi police informed the HC that they have formed a panel to probe into the matter.

The court also asked the central government to appraise it from time to time on the commission of inquiry set up by the government to deal with the related case.

Filing fresh status report before the court, counsel appearing for Delhi Police tendered an "unconditional apology" and also submitted the names of officials deployed in the PCR vans during the incident.

"I tender my unconditional apology for not giving names of the policemen who were on duty in the PCR vans concerned, though their names have figured in the charge sheet as they are witnesses in the case," Dayan Krishnan, counsel for Delhi Police told a bench headed by Chief Justice D Murugesan before filing the fresh status report.

A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice VK Jain hearing the case asked the home ministry to increase the number of PCR vans in the city to ensure better safety to people.

During arguments, the High Court said, “What we had in mind was public interest and we only want that negligent police officers must not go unpunished”.

"The status report says that police personnel deployed on the PCR vans are the witnesses in the case and the chargesheet has their names. So, what was the difficulty in showing their names in the status report? You should have told us this earlier," the bench also comprising Justice VK Jain remarked.

The court had also directed the government to look into if the number of PCR vans in Delhi can be increased.

Krishnan told the high court that at present out of 617 PCR vans, 74 are off-road due to various reasons including for repairs and a recommendation on the issue was also pending with the MHA.
On this, Additional Solicitor General Rajeev Mehra, appearing for MHA, said he will take up the matter with the government for "immediate measures."
The ASG also told the court that a one-member committee of a former high court judge has been constituted and it would look into the entire incident and will suggest measures within three months to prevent their recurrence in future.
"You please keep us posted about the developments. Let it not go beyond three months" the court said and fixed the matter for further hearing on January 31.
The court also said that it would deal later with the issue of medical treatment given to the victims.
During the hearing, advocate Meenakshi Lekhi moved a petition on behalf of some journalists assailing the gag order passed by a lower court prohibiting the media from reporting pre-trial and trial proceedings in the sensational gang rape case.
"The whole nation wants to know about the proceedings in the case and the media, which undertakes to act responsibly, should not be gagged," Lekhi said, criticising the order of a Saket court for holding "in-camera" trial of the case.
The court refused to tag the plea of Lekhi with this case saying "we cannot widen the ambit of this petition and let your petition be filed before a single judge bench for hearing tomorrow."

Earlier, High Court on Wednesday took strong exception that only a junior police officer was suspended in connection with the gang rape of a 23-year-old student here and senior cops, including the Police Commissioner, have not been made accountable.

"Why only ACP, why not DCP, why not the Commissioner have been put to task?" a bench headed by Chief Justice D Murugesan said while expressing its anguish over the non-disclosure of the names of policemen who were patrolling the areas where the girl was raped in a moving bus on December 16.

The court also warned the city police that it cannot be blamed for any "consequential order".

The court also pulled up the Delhi Police for not following the Supreme Court’s order on removing tinted glasses from vehicles.

Notably, the Delhi High Court had taken suo motu cognizance of the gang rape and had pulled up the police asking as to how the offence remained undetected.


Latest News from India News Desk