Melbourne: Disappointed and frustrated at being dumped but resolute nonetheless, veteran Australian batsman Simon Katich on Friday said he would continue playing despite his axing from the list of contracted players. Simon Katich’s old tiff with Michael Clarke: (Agencies)
The 35-year-old batsman's dropping has outraged several former players and Katich himself admitted to being deeply frustrated by the omission.
But the opener said despite the thought of retirement passing his mind, he has decided to continue "out of respect for his state side New South Wales.
"After much consideration I've decided that I want to keep playing on for NSW due to the level of respect I have for Cricket NSW and also my teammates for the last nine years,"
Katich, who scored 4188 runs at an average of 45.03 56 Tests, told reporters.
"I want to repay that faith that they have shown in me and hopefully we can have a very good season coming up," he added.
But Katich didn't mince words in criticising Cricket Australia.
"I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated at the decision I found out about on Tuesday but I also want to make it clear I know I'm not the only player to go through this in the last few years because of inconsistent selection policies," said Katich.
"I'm just hoping something good comes out of this situation because I actually think the decision that came on Tuesday was absolutely ridiculous," he fumed.
Katich was especially scathing in his criticism of the selection panel and ridiculed it by saying, "If you pay peanuts you get monkeys".
"It's a business, there's no doubt about that, that's just the way sport has gone. Being realistic it's got to go that way, because you're dealing with guys' careers. This is not just me, there's plenty of other guys out there as well who've gone through this. So maybe something good will come out of this situation," he added.
Katich also said he does not fear the repercussions of his outburst.
"Technically I'm still contracted until the end of June 30. So no doubt the phone will ring and I'll probably have to answer for this. But at the same time, I'm not going to stand up here and lie about it all, because that's not going to help anyone moving forward.
"Hopefully the review, something good will come out of that review, because this might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back," he said.
Simon Katich has debunked speculation that his axing from Cricket Australia's list of contracted players was a fallout of his two and a half year old dressing room spat with current captain Michael Clarke.
"I don't think that was an issue. We had a professional relationship," Katich said in a press conference.
The 35-year-old opener, who was axed by CA despite a reasonably good Test record, has decided to continue playing nonetheless.
But he rubbished suggestions that Clarke might have had a hand in getting him ousted to settle scores for the dressing room tiff during which the two came to blows.
"I know there's going to be a lot made of that," he said.
"Having seen the press over the last few days and obviously Michael Slater made some comments the other day," he added.
But Katich did admit that the two had a stand off which was reportedly triggered during the celebrations of a Test win over South Africa.
"I'd just like to say that in regards to that situation, I'm not going to shy away from the fact that we had the incident a couple of years ago.
"But we've both been really professional in handling that over the last two years and it hasn't been a problem since then. So I don't think that's an issue," he said.
Melbourne: Disappointed and frustrated at being dumped but resolute nonetheless, veteran Australian batsman Simon Katich on Friday said he would continue playing despite his axing from the list of contracted players.
Simon Katich’s old tiff with Michael Clarke: